The Queen's Award for Enterprise & Innovation
Published on 10 August 2022
Applications open to Milton Park companies
Some of the Milton Park team recently met with Brian Buchan DL, Vice Lord-Lieutenant of Oxfordshire and Robert Kirtland, Deputy Lieutenant. Both Brian and Robert were keen to know more about the innovative work that Milton Park companies are doing, as they promote the Queen's Award for Enterprise & Innovation in the county. They were impressed with the calibre of the companies on Milton Park and their strides to solve global problems, through science and technology, recommending that Milton Park companies consider applying for the prestigious award.
The role of the Lieutenancy is to act as Her Majesty The Queen's representatives in Oxfordshire by taking an active interest in local industries and charities in the county, celebrating and encouraging volunteering schemes, presenting certain medals and awards and promoting civic and community life. The Lord-Lieutenant advises The Queen on local matters and appoints a Vice Lord-Lieutenant and Deputy Lieutenants to function as representatives in different parts of the county.
The Queen’s Awards for Enterprise & Innovation are the most prestigious awards for UK businesses and is a globally recognised royal seal of approval for UK companies.
To qualify for The Queen's Award for Enterprise & Innovation, companies must:
- have an innovation that has not been sold before
- have had your innovation available on the market for at least two years
- have recovered all the investments made in your innovation or show that the innovation will recover its full costs in the future
- show outstanding commercial success as a result of innovation over two years - or continuous commercial success over five years.
The type of innovation should fall into one of the following categories:
- production of goods
- performance of services
- marketing and distribution
- after-sale support of goods or services.
If a company wins an award:
- you will be invited to a Royal reception
- presented with the award by the Lord-Lieutenant
- able to fly The Queen’s Award flag at your head office
- use the emblem on your marketing materials
- receive an official certificate and crystal trophy.
Previous winners have reported increased worldwide sales and recognition, gained press coverage and it has also boosted staff morale.
Applications for the award close at midday on Tuesday 6 September. As they say, ‘One has got to be in it, to win it!’